Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Repair and Care


The minimalist battle cry seems to be "When in doubt throw it out."  I agree with that statement for most things, but exceptions are bound to happen.  A recent example (as I happily discovered) is shoe repair.  You may have no idea that the bits of leather and rubber you have on your feet can be restitched or glued.  I didn't know until I found myself in the need.  I own a pair of expensive name brand shoes, they were prescribed to me by my doctor for feet problems, and they broke Saturday.  I was devastated.  I have only had them for a two years.  I expected them to last forever based on price and craftsmanship.  I knew if I could not fix them I'd have to throw them out and start again and I did not want to do that.  My husband informed me that their good quality meant I could have them repaired for a fraction of the cost of a new pair!  What luck!  I rushed them to the local shoe repair shop.  It turned out the little man behind the counter did not have all the materials he needed so I am currently on a hunt for the matching buttons.    Five dollar buttons and an hour or two of labor are far more agreeable than two hundred for a new pair of the same shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment